Monday, October 3, 2011

Week Ending October 2

Mon - 4.5 miles (800') easy. Falls loop.

Tues - Off

Weds - 4.5 miles (800') easy. Falls loop.

Thurs - 7.5 miles (700') on Bluesky with Eric. Picked it up coming back from Rim Rock.

Fri - 4.5 miles (800') easy. Falls loop.

---------------------------------------------------
January: 440.5 miles (45,850')
February: 304.5 miles (39,200')
March: 469.5 miles (67,100')
April: 427 (62,000')
May: 509.5 (92,500')
June: 323 (54,900')
July: 303.5 (79,700)
August: 297.5 (70,000')
September: 202 miles (37,500')

Total: 3,277 miles (548,850')
Avg: 364 miles (60,983')
---------------------------------------------------

Sat - AM: 9.5 miles (1,550')easy flagging Horsetooth section of Bluesky Marathon.




PM: 2.5 miles super easy setting up T&H course with Alistair.

Sunday - Off. Busy morning between two races. Stopped in for the start of the Bluesky Marathon, then presided over a busy T&H 4k (yes, 4k) race, before returning to Bluesky to watch and cheer for the finishers there. Blazing hot day, which for the exposed Bluesky Marathon meant punishment for the runners.

Total: 33 miles (4,650')

Another down week, which is just fine. I should be nice and rested for Silent Trails next weekend, where I plan to pull off the double upset by handing it to JM and heavy favorite Jason Delaney, who apparently will also be running.

Signed up for North Face San Fran 50 last week and then also finally got my Hardrock appo in the mail. NF50 is sold out, so I am currently on the wait list. Guess I'll make a final decision on that race should I get bumped up to the start list. Either way, it's time to start building some fitness and mileage.

Interesting 85km (50 mile, essentially) race over in the Pyrenees this weekend. The start line was packed with stars, most of them from the Salomon stable: Kilian, Iker, Heras, Symonds, Gates. Only Heras and Gates finished. Wonder if there'll be the same kind of post mortem on this one as there was after UTMB for the US runners? Probably not.

Per Justin, Kilian dropped because of mental fatigue. Been there. The kid is amazing, but I often wonder where his breaking point is. It would be a great shame to see such a prodigious talent driven into the ground at such a young age. I hope he doesn't feel the pressure to continue with his crazy schedule if he needs a break.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck in the HR lottery and wait list for TNF50.
    I don't think your stick was long enough for poking that hornets' nest. Here, use this one... (10' pole) I won't be using it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Jornet should be fine because he will soon be switching to skiing. Participating in two very different sports during different seasons may keep him fresh and help him avoid injury. Hopefully he has a bit of a transition period between each.

    David T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for marking the Blue Sky course. Next time, try and fix the heat/sun will you? A sufferfest of epic proportions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ben! A 'hornets' nest' indeed.

    Rob - no worries on the marking. Sorry about the weather. I'll talk to the RD about fixing that for next time.

    David - maybe, but he travels and races between the two sports a huge amount. It's not just the physical aspect, but also the mental desire to be 'on' for all those races, whether running or skiing. I'm sure he knows what he's doing, but I just hope he's not feeling too much pressure to constantly perform.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick - Good points. It will be interesting to watch his career continue to unfold. Hope it continues to progress well and that he takes a bit of a break before diving into skiing.

    David T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicholas! Glad to hear fall's going well. I've also wait-listed for TNF - might head down their with Jake if they let me in. Seems I'm finally rounding into form.

    I also noticed another race on your sidebar -- something of an "alpine brew race". Looks awesome. Better not be any DNS', DNF's or "refunds", or you'll get some seething posts from yours truly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick - wondering if you could share your opinion on the axio max and/or axio hr. I realize it's a sponsor but curious if you've had any issues/problems. Most reviews I've read are positive but a few have had some issues. I figured you'd be one to ask. The intended use would be trail running. Specifically, my thought is to track vert and ascent/descent info. Do you miss having a gps function or do you instead rely on maps for mileage counts?

    Thanks for your time. Please let me know if you've already commented on your blog. Great 2011 season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've used the Alterra for the split function, which the Axio Max lacks. However, the Alterra has one annoying feature in that it must be in ALT mode in order to be recording vert gain/loss (not the case with the Axio). This means that in order to record vert and take splits, there is some annoying flicking through screens that has to occur to take the splits and then you always have to remember to keep the watch on the ALT screen. Not an ideal set-up when running hard or if you want to primarily be in Chrono, but also tracking vert.

    Neither watch was specifically designed with runners in mind, hence the shortcomings. I told the guys at Highgear that they needed to combine the two watches to create a runner friendly Altimeter watch. This is what the Axio HR is - a combination of the best features of both watches with some added bonus features. I don't monitor heart rate, so no interest in that, but that is obviously another addition with runners in mind. Obviously then, the Axio HR is what I would recommend for runners looking for accurate vert readings in combination with a good running watch that also has useful mountain/backcountry features.

    I have never used a GPS watch, so don't feel any great loss there, although I understand that having mileage strapped to your wrist can become addictive.

    I know all the routes and segments at Horsetooth/Lory/Bluesky where I do the majority of my running to the tenth of a mile, so can track mileage very accurately there. Running new terrain, I typically use maps to calculate mileage if I'm not running with friends who have GPS. I may be a mile off here or a mile off there on unknown routes, but I don't lose sleep over it. I'm typically more interested in accumulated vert anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thx for the input on the axio HR. That's the info I needed to make a decision.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Details on Jornet's decision to drop: http://www.mudsweatandtears.co.uk/2011/10/05/he-is-human-after-all/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+mudsweatandtears+%2528Mud%252C+Sweat+%2526+Tears%2529

    ReplyDelete