Friday, November 18, 2011

UTMB Flash Back

I had some pretty mixed emotions watching the video below. From a racing perspective the trip to Europe was pretty much a Fail, but as an overall experience it was fantastic.

The race scenes from the video take you from the start to the finish by way of St.Gervais, Courmayeur, La Fouly, Champex Lac, and Trient. The scenes of me are St.Gervais, Courmayeur and then my final implosion on the way up to Col Forclaz just above Trient. I remember the camera guys being on me there and just feeling like I wanted to disappear. I can tell you now that I look way better in that video than I felt, but check out that walking cadence. Barely moving.

Good times. The guys did a great job with this video, and it's awesome to see Scott, Darcy and Richie finish - something I missed on the day.

I know for sure I won't be back next year, but maybe 2013.


11 comments:

  1. Can't believe you're not in that new Western movie. Even more bummed you won't be in the discussion thing here in the Springs, I had lots of questions about your 2nd place age group award I wanted to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping for a cameo or two in the WS movie - may even make a surprise appearance at the discussion thingy in the Springs. Happy to respond to any and all questions you may have about the glory of second place AG awards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, neat footage but please oh please ask someone to re-score the soundtrack.
    -Neal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neal - it's German techno at its finest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neal - it's a Euro thing my man. The theme music for UTMB (which was playing all week in town) was even more cheeseball. Really quite comical for the first few days, then just annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice video. No UTMB, but what about WS 2012?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, that soundtrack. Man. But great footage, Nick, as rough as those closing miles were. I have a number of photos of me during my implosion at Teton '08. I click through them occasionally, if just to look back at the experience from a distance. Enjoy the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking about it, Ian.

    Thanks, Hank.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you all never seen a montage? The music is perfect. Though I can see how after several days you would go crazy.

    UTMB is definitely a bucket list race for me. Maybe someday ...

    Nick, I think you should definitely go back in 2013 and take care of some unfinished business.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking 2013 myself. I wanted to go in 2012, but I failed to finish my qualifier in October. I thought of your UTMB drop as I pulled the plug. Mine too was one of those "what's the point of continuing?" sorta things where you feel like the race just doesn't matter. I too was way too close to the finish to be thinking that way, but sometimes it just is not worth it. There is tons of upside to failure. Nothing breeds hunger like feeling you need to prove something to yourself, your competition, the mountains, etc. That bitter pill can be the training edge that makes the difference. Best of luck in 2012. Can't wait to see what you have scheduled this year. I hope to toe the line with you.
    Jeremy in Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scotty, fine German techno [I imagine] more apt as a UTMB narrative might sound something like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBGNlTPgQII

    ReplyDelete