Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week Ending Jan 23

Mon - Noon: 8 miles easy. Glenwood Canyon to Readers Cove via Spring Creek - Mason - Harmony.
PM: 5.5 miles (600') easy. Milner mountain loop.

Tues - AM: 9.5 miles fartlek. Met Jane's group down in City Park for a structured mile repeat workout. First mile on the cemetery route, then 3 x mile fartlek with hard at 5k'ish pace and easy at marathon'ish pace, followed with final cemetery mile. Four mile w-u, half mile c-d. 5:42, 5:56, 5:44, 5:52, 5:24.
PM: 10 miles (2,300') easy. To Towers via 38e/Shoreline, then Towers - Westridge - Horsetooth - Southridge - home.

Weds - Noon 10.5 miles (2,400') easy. Falls - Spring Creek - Stout - Loggers - Carey Springs - Towers - Secret Trail - Westridge - Southridge - Soderberg. Looked a little overcast, but totally benign when I set out, so went with a light outfit. Within 20 minutes, the temps dropped 20 degrees and I was in a full-on blizzard with hail then snow lashing me to pieces in the howling wind. My hands froze and my face felt like it was about ready to fall off, but I stuck with the plan and got around. Ouch.
PM: 4.5 miles (900') easy. Falls loop.

Thurs - AM: 10.5 miles (1,400') steady. ~ 1:11 for 10, then .5 jog. Met up with Sarah, Slush, Tim, John L and Dennis at Maxwell for an out and back to the 5-mile marker on the HTH course. Huge full moon out hovering above the Horsetooth/Lory foothills which was pretty awesome; however, it was cold (12 degrees) and the roads were icy which wasn't so awesome. Forgot my watch, but based on others' watches, it was approx 38 mins (7:40) to the turn and 33 (6:40) coming back. The hills on Centennial always make this a tough workout, but managed to push out a solid tempo effort coming back. Half mile jog at the end.
PM: 7.5 miles easy. FCTR social run @ Pineridge.

Friday - AM: 4.5 miles (900') super easy. Falls loop.
PM: 2.5 miles on the mill. Bored and tired so got off.

Saturday AM: 21.5 miles (1,500') MP workout. 2:45. Started from Maxwell at 6:00 am with a jog out to Spring Creek trailhead, then 2x4 miles @ marathon effort to College and back w/half mile jog between. Wind was blowing hard, so this workout was kind of a bust, but just tried to maintain an appropriate effort: 6:14, 5:57, 5:58, 5:54; 6:04, 6:08, 6:06, 6:21. Jogged the 1.5 miles back to Maxwell and met a large group from the Fort Collins Running Club for a jog out to the 5-mile marker and back on the HTH course over the Centennial hills (44 out, 45 back). Ran with Alex for the most part and enjoyed some good conversation. Wind really picked up towards the end of the run.

Sunday - AM: 23.5 miles (3,050'). 3:19. Horsetooth Resrvoir circumnavigation with Brendan, Dakota and Ryan. From my house to Soderberg, then Valley trails to Lory - roads around north end of reservoir to Reservoir Ridge TH - Foothills Trail to Maxwell - dam road (Centennial) to 38e - 38e home. Glad for the enjoyable company on this one as I didn't much feel like running long again after Saturday's 20+ miles, but my legs felt fine and the run went by quickly. Beautiful morning for what was actually my first circumnavigation of the reservoir. Was pretty surprised to see 3,000'+ of vertical gain on the morning, but I guess there are a couple of good climbs up and down the hogbacks on the east side of the reservoir, and then there's a good 800' in the last three miles to my house. Excellent way to finish off this block of training for NOLA.


Brief pit stop at Lory Visitors Center. Ryan, Dakota, Brendan.

Total: 118 miles (13,000')

So that pretty much concludes the work for the NOLA build up. I'll take the next three weeks to drop the mileage with my typical taper that will go something like: 75 miles, 50 miles, 3-4 mile daily jog, with an eye on maintaining some good quality marathon-paced workouts through the next two weeks. Feeling fit and largely healthy, so no excuses. Probably going to run the 5k/10k double at 7,500' next weekend.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like it was a good week Nick. I enjoyed to the run Saturday. I signed up for the double at Frost Giant next weekend- should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, Alex! I think Dana and the kiddie winks are coming too, so maybe we can get out for a bite to eat after with your fam if they're planning on joining you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Lots of miles! I am running my first marathon in April - the London Marathon, so am up to 25-30 mile weeks. I think I should be upping my milage! Goodluck in new Orleans. Ian shaman made a post that his 2.34 [I think] in Phoenix is the fastest Brit in the world so far this year, so he has set the marker for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex - good luck in London. If you see my brother out there, say 'hi'.

    I'd have to think the 2:34 won't last long if it is indeed the fastest UK marathon this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2.34 won't last long but it would be nice to have your name in lights for a week or two!.

    i am aiming for 3.15 for the marathon ( my first), overly optimistic I am sure but we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nick,
    in reference to the comment u did on A.K's blog "Hardrock 100 Applicant list", you have a very genuine mind set.
    Girona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, is Dakota on his phone??

    Great marathon build up, Nick! I'm excited to see what you do in NO.

    Ian put the 2:34 note on his blog kinda tongue-in-cheek; he was surprised by it and knows it won't last long.

    Also, I loved your comment on Tony's post about HR applicants. Very well thought-out and written, and excellent points all around.

    ReplyDelete