Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Some Rivalries for 2010

The Burchmeister and I have decided to throw down for 2010. In a recent phone conversation, which inevitably centered around running, we realized that we'd be seeing quite a bit of each other at various race venues across the Mountain West this year. As we run at a similar pace and a similar level of intensity, we figured we'd make a little side bet of things over a five-race series beginning at Salida ten days hence.

The last time we raced, Pilot Hill 25k, I destroyed Ryan (right, with another foe, Michael Huntington, left).

While Salida will just be the beginning of the series between Ryan and I, I also have a bet riding on the Salida race with the Brown Man from Colorado Springs. I have graciously given Brownie (aka Jon Teisher) a 26-minute handicap (the differential from last year's race), with the loser buying the winner a 12 pack of their choosing.

Back to the Burch showdown. The calendar looks like this:

Salida (26.2)
Fruita (50)
Jemez (50)
Pikes Peak (26.2)
An as-yet-undecided fifth race, which will likely be the Speedgoat 50k or the Breck Crest Mtn Marathon.

The stakes are mainly about bragging rights, but the loser will be taking the winner's family out for a slap-up dinner at an as-yet-undecided venue. Although Burch is currently 3-2 over me in our head-to-heads to date, recent race comps suggest that I'm in with more than a fighting chance and, quite frankly, I'm yet to be beaten this year. So Burch, you better be bringing your A-game!

Another blogosphere racing brawl that I've been trying to instigate is with Denver resident and fellow RunColo contributor (and Western States pacer), Justin Mock. Justin and I will both be running Pikes in August and have thrown around the idea of making that the tie-breaker (or victory lap) of a three-race series. Justin is more roadie than trail runner, so I suggested we choose one venue each for the other two races, thereby increasing the likelihood that Pikes will indeed be the tie-breaker. My choice is the Horsetooth Trail Half in early June (if I don't beat him there then I won't beat him anywhere), but I'm waiting on confirmation - so Justin, consider this a publicly stated call to arms.

Oh, and I don't know if this one will ever get off the ground, but the FoCo (area) vs. Boulder (area) hill climb challenge series is still hanging out there, but is in need of some serious organizational and scheduling commitments.

Anyone else?

19 comments:

  1. Wow, you just threw down an entire post full of major smack talk. I fear you now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you call me a Roadie? Geez.

    Well actually, it's been more milling than anything lately though.

    I remember in 07, I was at the pre-race dinner in Lake City and mentioned to some people at my table that I had run the Fruita 25M. They go "yeah who won that? My bud Bob (Africa) said that some roadie came in and killed everyone." Cracked me up.

    I'm registered for PPM and should be good for that half in June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll propose a three race series - Salida, Fruita, and Wasatch. To make things interesting though [and perhaps swing a little in my favor :) ] I suggest we go on cumulative time...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sonja - I talk a better game than I run, but yeah, be afraid, be very afraid :)

    Justin - I'll wait on your home-field choice then, and yeah, you're a total roadie (who dabbles with the trail every now and then).

    Nick - Game on. I guess if we go cumulative time, then it is essentially about who wins Wasatch, but that is fine. What are the stakes - diner & beers after Wasatch?

    ReplyDelete
  5. eh, that last comment in the post stinks of me. I need to get away from nursing this calf and worry about what the cub scouts are doing next though to get on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GZ - not at all, just that the process of trying to round up a bunch of guys and gals to run at the same time in the same place in a non-organized event x 3 is not an easy one, especially if it involves travel. Hope that calf is healing - I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, I would be in on the Salida, Fruita and Wasatch bet. Although I would have to be handicapped because I am slow.
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Justin - 4th at Pikes Peak is not bad for a roadie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good stuff Nick, a note from my friend Marco on Salida, " From about mile 8 to 14 the course was all ice, hopefully it will be gone in two weeks. From about mile 17 to mile 25 its pretty much all snow. There is anywhere from 6 to 12 inches of snow in this part of the course. I was able to run this section so I am not too worried about it, it just means that the times will be slower."

    Look out for a fast Mexican who's not Eddy... He was 3rd at Steamboat '09 in his first ultra...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brett, similarly, didn't Karl say that Parr was more of a road guy going into Leadville last year?!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick - those stakes seem fair enough. It may slightly favor Wasatch but I think it will keep things more interesting. If you look at Leadville last year spots 6-10 were all within 30 min (I think) so just because it is 100 miles doesn't mean it can't be close.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought the races were all in Nick's backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Todd - bit of sandbagging there from the Dirty Thirty champ. Looks like you were 6% slower at Salida last year than Nick and I and 13% slower than me at CP. Not sure if we had any other races in common. Anyway, split the difference: 9.5% of the winner's time subtracted from yours? This got complex all of a sudden. Maybe we can hash out the details Friday night in Salida if you're gonna be up then. Nick and I are staying at the hostel.

    Brett - Barr Trail is the superhighway of Colorado trails - to Barr Camp at least.

    Patrick - thanks for the heads up. Heavy snow is about the best chance to keep Parr close.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds good. However the bet turns out I will plenty of beer at the finish of Wasatch that I would be happy to share. You'll just have to wait for me to finish.

    Driving up the morning for Salida.

    See you then,
    Todd

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it, it's "funny" how you want to beat your friends more than anyone when it comes to racing. My best friend (lives in Iowa City) are the same way, he just topped me in the marathon, running a 2:47, so now I am pumped to top him again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Remember, we're using Boston rules. So I actually get 26:59 at Salida.

    You up for running an easy four-ish up to the top of Tenderfoot Mountain on Sunday morning?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brownie, I'll be back home tucking into that 12-pack on Sunday. Up Friday, back Saturday. I'll race you up the mtn after the marathon though - double or quits ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never met Brownie, but I think I remember him referring to himself as a Clydestale at some point, somewhere. If you don't spot him 30 minutes that 12 pack is just a sandbag.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, Nick likes to pick on us fat kids!

    ReplyDelete