Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Pikes Surprise

Much to my surprise, I got an email from Matt Carpenter this afternoon stating that my bid for a competitive entry into this year's Pikes Peak Ascent has been accepted. I put in for it just a few days before the deadline last week, thinking that I'd had a decent first half of the season and may sneak in if there weren't too many others looking to get a spot via the competitive entry process.

Anyway, the upshot of the recent news is that I'm going to have to get serious - quickly - about getting into high-altitude, mountain-running shape. I have exactly 23 days to get ready. I've already arranged with friends from the Fort Collins Trail Runners to head down early Monday morning for a jaunt up the mountain. This will be my first time running the trail up Pikes.

Lucky for me, I have a two-mile, 1,600' climb essentially out my front door in Horsetooth Mountain Park. I'll be doing repeats up Horsetooth at least a couple times a week for the next two weeks. In addition, I'll be running Longs with Ryan B, per a phone call this morning, and looking to do Evans or Greys if I can find the time. Failing that, I'll try to sneak some time up in Rocky Mountain National Park to get up on Flattop. Not much else I can do really with just over three weeks to go. Fortunately, I have a good base to pull from and I think my legs are close to fully recovered from Bighorn.

Goal? Top ten.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a plan. Can't wait to hear how you do. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing we did Mt. Elbert! Given your speed I think top ten should be doable

    If you are looking for a slow partner for runs up in RMNP let me know....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the competitive entry! Look forward to seeing you there. I am going to have to put you somewhere in my prediction set. http://georgezack.blogspot.com/2009/07/ppa-ppm-predictions-men-first-crack.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tomdog!

    nmp = Nick - middle name - Pedatella. Got it! Don't give me any of that "slow partner" bs. Totally up for it. Ryan and I will be doing Longs Aug 9, if you're up for that. Otherwise, I'll probably try and get up to RMNP next weekend if you're free. Drop me a line; my email is on my profile.

    GZ - Looking at that list of contenders on your blog makes me think top 10 might be a stretch, but that's what makes the race so great. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you were a serious runner, but hearing you say "I'm gonna run Longs" holy sheet dude. That was my first 14er with my bro, we really didn't have a clue what we were doing, so props to you. I loved it and it was hard and fun to, now, imagine more people doing it. Waiting for more race summaries from ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the entry, we'll see you in Manitou! Kudos to Matt for putting you in the ascent and not the marathon, there's enough people who will be beating me there. I'll be about 3/4 of a mile up top with beer if you're thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the Pikes entry, Nick. You'll do great.

    ReplyDelete